SC -Redacting?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 17 03:34:29 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Krysta asked:
> > What in the world is redacting???????
<snip>
> It has been asked here before and has
> at times led to some rather loud 'discussion' over the use of the term.
>
> I imagine someone else has already explained the SCA useage of the
> term. Bascially it is turning a period recipe written in a period style
> into the style used by most modern recipes giving more precise measurements
> and directions.

And this might be a good time to note and compliment Mistress
Christianna's use of the word "rendering" in her French Toast Odyssey.
As with the common term "feastocrat" (shudder), it's not that there
aren't better terms than "redaction" available, it's getting people to
use them and understand them. We're going from one fairly ridiculous
term (in both cases) that used to be in sufficiently common usage as
SCA-specific jargon that nobody ever questioned it, despite the fact
that it was more or less wrong, to several terms which are more correct,
but not universally used.

We had the same problem with feastocrat: some use "cuisinier", some
"maitre de cuisine", some "head cook", some "architriclinus" or
"archimagirus", some "kitchener"... but the only term guaranteed not to
draw blank stares is...feastocrat. We need more time, is all.

Funny how we slipped the term "course" by so many traditionalist
dinosaurs without a problem...as if its being incorrect actually made a difference...hmmm.

Nice job on the rendering, though, Mistress Christianna! But did the
cracklin's go into the French Toast?

Adamantius, clocking his head on the rock _again_
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com