SC - Fwd: Article from the globeandmail.com Web Centre

Schumacher, Deborah (AZ15) deborah.schumacher at honeywell.com
Tue Jan 18 09:34:00 PST 2000

Hello All

This article sure has done the rounds. From the Antir and Eldomere list to
the Rialto to here. No big surprise.
I'll only make a few comments and then let this drop as I've been involved
in discussion about it elsewhere.

While I dont think the woman did get the best treatment(Especially from the
Merchant Ouch), I also think that the article shows a rather harsh view of
what probably happened.
They were invited to the event by an unknown friend, whom never introduced
them  as newbies and they never made mention of it to gate (or at least not
from her description they didnt) Chatelaines dont have radar, The person who
invited these folks should have contacted the chatelaine or put her in touch
with them.
For people who didnt enjoy an event they sure stuck around a long time. They
arrived presumably sometime in the morning or early afternoon. They stayed
till midnight. Generally when I have had a bad time at an event I've left
early. Something was keeping them there.
They were obviously expecting to be entertained, again something  the person
who invited them should have done. When I went to my first event my husband
who had been in the society, took it as his duty to keep my glass full, and
to keep me entertained.  And I did the same when I brought my adopted mom
and my husbands best friend at an event. Why invite your friends if you
aren't going to spend time with them.

One thing the writer said that struck me. "We weren't free
to make up the rules as we went along."

So that's my .02 on this one, and I'll let it drop. Good events happen and
bad events happen, but I feel a portion of this woman's problem were created
by her own expectations and the person who invited her.

Zoe
Kingdom of Atenveldt another 36 days

PS- This email address goes away on 1/28/00 If you need to reach me, I'm at
Zoe at Antir.com