SC - Candlemas Royalty lunch menu

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 18 21:54:14 PST 2000

I have somewhat decided what I'm going to do for the Royalty lunch I
(foolishly?) volunteered to fix for our upcoming Candlemas event, Feb. 5.

I thought I'd go ahead and post it here and see if anyone had any comments
or suggestions.

First my constraints and goals:
1) I am not an experienced cook, either mundanely or with medieval food
although I have been doing one or two dishes at a time for four or five
years. I have never produced a small lunch like this, much less a normal
SCA feast.

2) I am a bit behind where I had planned to be because of procrastination
and my recent back injury.

3) I wanted the food to be appropriate for a winter feast that a medieval
king might have been served on a Royal Progress. In other words, foods
that weren't available at all (fresh green vegetables for instance) were
out, but scarce items would be found for the king (eggs).

4) The food is to be set out on a sideboard, and eaten as the Royalty have
time. So food that must be served hot, may not be appropriate unless a
crock pot or other small heat source can be used.

5)I've been told to produce food for 12 people.

6) This is lunch only. The big feast is that evening.

7) As the kitchen is in use to prepare the big feast, my access to it's
facilities will be limited. So the ability to use foods that can be
prepared ahead of time and finished off with minimal kitchen facilities
is important. I only have two hours between the hall opening and lunch
being served.

So here is the menu:

stuffed eggs (Anne-Marie's recipe)
mushroom pasties
roast beef (recipe still to be determined) (How much such I make?)
roast duck (2 ducks?)
  sauces for the above:
     a mustard sauce
     a garlic sauce
     a cameline sauce
     a fruity sauce (Wolfmother's Markham sauce or Redon's redaction
       (Medieval Kitchen) of bitter orange/cinnamon/rose water sauce)
Compost/Comfit (pickled vegetables) These have been made and in the vinegar
   for a week now) The vegetables and pears were cut in small chunks as I
   envision this being put on the meat if desired.

Drinks: One or two jalab type drinks.

Dessert is:
sweet wafers (The same recipe that I did for our fall event and our Yule
   pot luck event. This is Hauviette's redaction.
Hypoccras
confits (store bought)
- ----

I know that some of this ranges across several time periods and cultures.

Thanks.
   Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net