SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1845

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 09:06:19 PST 2000

> Johann, poultrier, responds:
>

>  The refrigeration also changes their density, I think??

Yes.  Always use warmed to room temperature eggs or preferably unrefrigerated
eggs.

> There is a
> slight change in density between non-fertilized eggs and fertile ones,

Really?  Hmmm...  I don't know enough about period chicken raising practices.
Would the eggs Digby used be more likely fertilized or not?

> and there 'might' be a 'slight' change between commercial feed and
> natural feed, I don't know, I'll check with the APA.

Thanks!

>  If you want to use eggs as a hydrometer use VERY FRESH eggs( within the
> day of laying)

I know.  Now my SO does too.  ;>  BTW, is anyone interested in seeing the
eventual results of the repeatability study he is doing?

> Johann, poultrier.
>
> P.S.
>   It is correct to assume Chicken (Gallius,ie.chicken,or pheasant) Eggs
> in Digby unless stated otherwise. Waterfowl eggs were used, but were
> usually called for specifically.

Good.  I was not looking forward to trying to find fresh laid duck eggs.  ;>

- -Magdalena