SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Sat Jan 22 14:37:15 PST 2000

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:19:29 EST
From: LrdRas at aol.com
Subject: Re: SC - Period French Toast Recipies

In a message dated 1/21/00 6:26:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< is some horrible to most modern people
 concoction >>

This is inaccurate. I serve an innard at every feast and it is always eaten
and enjoyed. I find that most of the preconceived notions about what feasters
will or will not eat can be explained as notions originating in what the cook
will or will not eat.

- ---
I know many many people who simply will not eat organ meat.  Now it could be
that the people who won't eat it are louder than the people who will and
thinking that most people won't eat organ meats is an example of the fallacy of
positive instances.  But, on the other hand, it could be that most people don't
eat organ meats.

I, personally, have been referred to through most of my short life as a human
garbage can for my ability to eat and enjoy anything (especially if it was gross
looking or had tentacles and made my big brother squirm) but I've found
surprisingly few dishes of liver or other organ meats that I enjoy.  I find the
flavor far too rich.
- ---

For instance, THL Thorstien always serves a liver pate  at his feasts. It is
always devoured so not a crumb remains. I always use
blood to thicken my sauces when period recipes call for it and my feasts are
always well received. I have served (and will continue to serve) brains,
testicles, kidneys, stomachs, lungs and intestines. All were eaten and
enjoyed.

- ---
BTW, on the topic of organ meats, at the Pennsic Cooks thing, thanks for
convincing me to try the dish made with lamb's testicles.  It was amazing.  Next
Pennsic I bring a dish of my own to contribute.

   (Since I was volunteering at Chiurgeons Point that night and taking an
afternoon nap, I didn't think my camp would hold dinner for me for when I woke
up at 8pm, and went to the gathering to more or less grab myself a quick dinner.
I'd forgotten about the gathering and just eaten lunch at the food court so I
was adding food to a fairly full stomach already.  Then I got home to camp
afterwards to discover that they had made dinner really early so I could join in
and was faced with this phenomenal spread and no stomach room.)