SC - Origanum

Tue Jan 25 07:01:16 PST 2000

> From: <Mordonna22 at aol.com>
>

> > I don't know what country you are in, Tara, but if it's the US, If I
> were
> you
> > I would not make this potion again, as it calls for distilling, which is
> > against Federal Law without a proper license.
> >
> > Mordonna the Cook,
>
> Um...I think I remember that each person is allowed to make 200 gallons of
> alcohol for *personal* use.  As a matter of fact, you were able to order
> the
> plans for a still from Pueblo, Co - from a government agency when I was
> much
> younger.  I believe I am remembering right....but I wouldn't put it past
> the
> government to change it's mind in the 20 some odd years since that memory.
>
> Diana d'Avignon

That 200 gallons is by simple fermentation -- wine, beer, etc.  Most states
require you to have a state tax permit to produce your 200 gallons.  In
Oklahoma, you send the Tax Commission a notarized one page application and
they send you a form letter which is your permit.  The paperwork needs to be
renewed annually.

Distillation, per se, is not illegal.  For example, distilling water does
not require a tax permit.  Distilling beverages from the products of simple
fermentation without the appropriate permits and without paying the federal
tax has been illegal since the government passed the first excise tax on
whiskey in 1791.  The recipe given starts with wine, so distilling it is
illegal unless you are a properly registered and licensed distillery.

Bear