SC - Rosee or Morree

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 09:57:25 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/25/00 6:38:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<<
 One possibility would be to, um, gather ye rosebuds while ye may, and
 all, and dry them in season for future use. My Viceroy has a fairish
 number of rose bushes, and he often dries the flowers and then wonders
 what in blazes he's gonna do with them all. Maybe _next_ time he can
 trim and dry the petals.>>>

    Yes, as I mentioned in another post, I do dry the petals I can manage to
gather--not being up at my folk's house every day makes it difficult, as does
the short season of my period roses. But the timing of gathering them rarely
would work out well for me to be able to cut the tips off before I dried
them, I fear. And I don't think even my prolific damask would have enough
roses on it to flavor the dish for a large feast! Unfortunately, not many
other folks locally have roses, and of those that do, some have husbands that
insist on spraying them........... *sigh*

 >>>Regarding dishes cooked in small quantities, one thing we've tried here
 in The People's Republic of the East was a sort of "tasting menu" of
 about thirty dishes, with almost all the tables being served all the
 dishes. It was  a lot of work, but it was one of the most fun feasts
 we've done in recent memory (maybe four years ago?).(SNIP)
 I may have the menu someplace...

 Adamantius
 --

    Sounds nifty! I think I'd hit a lot less resistance to the idea locally
if I did it at our small Spring collegium, where we are only feeding 50-70
folks. But because it is small and easy, we tend to use it as a training
event for new cooks, so it may be a few years before I can get my hands on
that particular feast. I've been wanting to do that one for a while, though,
since it would be such a nice change from cooking for over 200 in an
unairconditioned kitchen in August! ;-)

            Ldy Diana