SC - Spanish food/health manual

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jan 25 15:14:03 PST 2000

At 1:20 AM -0500 1/21/00, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>I just got in an intersting book via ILL.  It's a modern reprint of a 16th
>century Spanish food/health manual.  (In Spanish -- it hasn't been
>translated that I know of.)
>
>The book is "Banquete de Nobles Caballeros" ("Banquet of Noble
>Gentlemen") by Luis Lobera de Avila, who was physician to the Spanish
>Emperor Carlos V...

This sounds a lot like the _Taciunum Sanitatas_, which is a Latin
version of an Arabic original. We have two modern editions in
translation with illustrations, _A Medieval Health Handbook_ and _The
Four Seasons of the House of Cerrutti_ (that's by memory, so I may
not have them exactly right.) This book gives, for each food or
activity, its nature by the theory of the humors, its benefits, its
risks, and how to neutralize the risks.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook