SC - Seven Centuries of English Cooking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 26 06:08:57 PST 2000

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/25/2000 3:43:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, Aldyth at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Is anyone familiar with this book?  >>
>
> Yep.  It's one of the first period cookbooks I got, and you're correct in
> your interpretation - she significantly alters both ingredients and cooking
> techniques from the originals in nearly all her recipes.  She also does not
> pay attention to period vs non-period ingredients.  In her version of Longe
> Wortes de Pesoun, which she calls something like Green Pea and Onion Soup,
> she uses green beans for the "wortes" rather than greens.

She may have been confused about the worts for some reason...it looks as
if she reasoned that the recipe called for mature peas and snap peas in
the shell (they're long, aren't they???), and may have resorted to green
beans for expedience.

> At least she gives the originals and sources for nearly all her recipes, so
> it is possible to figure out where she's changed things around.  At this
> point, I use it primarily for the originals.

Some of her adaptations aren't that bad. I still use her doucette recipe
(entitled, I think, Honey-Saffron Quiche), and occasionally the saffron
bread that she unfortunately fails to attribute. But yes, she has been
known to pull some extreme Cosmans. And where in the works of Andrew
Boorde is there a meatball soup recipe???

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com