SC - Re: Wafers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 6 10:14:36 PST 2000

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote, about his plans for wafers:

> Yes sweet with a sprinkling of powdre douce.
>
> For a nice sounding savory wafer I recall a wafer made with
> fish and cheese that sounded appetizing.

As I recall that recipe is in "Take A Thousand Eggs or More", but I
could be mistaken, and am unable to check at the moment. Does anybody know?

As for savory wafers, yes, cheese versions exist which would probably be
ideal, but which may not be completely in keeping with people's
expectations (rightly or wrongly) of what a wafer should be: non-sweet
wafers tend to be slightly limp and rubbery compared to sweet ones, but
I'm not really sure how crisp savory wafers in period were supposed to
be. I've seen paintings of wafers skewered on a brochette for portable,
commercial sale, and they look as if they were at least, at one time,
pretty floppy.

Another solution might be to use a "sweet" wafer recipe that uses a
minimum of sugar, just as a bare seasoning, rather than a cookie-ish
flavoring. I know some of the Carr's brand of crackers or biscuits, for
example, commonly eaten with cheese, are sweetened in spite of their
being basically a savory cracker, or at least one appropriate for savory accompaniments.

The Markham recipe for wafers (he doesn't specify them as sweet or
savory, as I recall) calls for flour, egg yolks, rosewater, sugar, and
cream; you could probably use only a small amount of sugar and get away
with it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy