SC - Mulling spices

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jan 10 18:06:18 PST 2000

I don't remember if I've posted the recipe for clarea here.  It's from de
Nola (1529).  Here's the essence of it: to one "azumbre" (approx. 2
liters) of white wine add one pound of honey and one ounce of a spice
mix in the following proportions: 3 parts cinnamon, 2 parts cloves, 1 part
ginger.  Mix well, strain through a sleeve enough times until the wine
comes through clear.

The non-alcoholic version of clarea calls for one azumbre of water, 4
ounces of honey, and the same spices.  Bring the water and honey to a
boil, remove from heat; add spices and proceed as above.

Note: made with cassia, these proportions/quantities give the clarea an
obnoxiously overwhelming cinnamon flavor.  I have not had a chance to
try it with true cinnamon.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann