SC - Help!!!!

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 19:25:33 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>  > Lucretzia,

>   How are you going to get the food there?  Are you planning on gettting a
>   ride from London, or taking the train?

Greetings Lucretzia,

I was trying to figure this problem out too, as you stated you don't
drive....

As you're probably aware already, depending on where the site is in Wales
there may or may not be a train or a direct road going anywhere near it.  A
lot of Wales is not accessible very easily unless you have a car at your
disposal.  (Lots of twisty narrow roads full of sheep) :-0

I'd say it would be quite hard to lug pre-cooked stuff in any quantity all
the way there from London unless the site was pretty much on the main train
route or roads south or north or you had a car or something... (or someone
else's car).

I have a question also regarding doing an event at a site in Wales... :-)  As
far as I've been able to discover, the nearest SCA shire to Wales in Britain
is in fact in England (Oxford I believe?) so although I'm happy Wales is the
site for an event like this, it seems far and isolated for people to go to
considering how far it is from the nearest SCA group...  Does it mean
interest in the SCA in Wales is on the increase then?

> Have you considered going a day or two early and buying then cooking
> everything there?  Are there any SCA  folks near there?

The Welsh are an hospitable sort, often the type willing to offer to take
stray travellers into their homes if they have no accomodation, and a few
nights spent  ahead of the event schmoozing with the locals in a pub or two
at whatever village is close to the site, might prove very fruitful in not
only finding you a few kitchens to cook in, but also some volunteers and
several new enthusiasts....  It's a thought :-)

YIS
Elysant