SC - Period French Toast Recipies

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Sat Jan 15 19:26:05 PST 2000

Adamantius adamantly stated:
>Here's where I display my hidebound, reactionary streak, as Bertie
>Wooster might call it. A good croissant is beyond pearls, and well-made
>French toast a thing of beauty. Why gild the lily? The unique thing
>about a croissant is its texture, primarily, and dipping it in an eggy
>batter might well spoil it, and probably not even make the best French
>Toast, either. Never having eaten this, though, I'm prepared to
>admit my prejudice.
>
>Now pan au chocolat, made from croissant dough, on the other hand, is
>another matter entirely... ;  )

I'm with you, babe. That's why i've never ordered the stuff.

But Berkeley CA is a haven for fine artisanal bread. Sure, store
bought isn't like homemade. But i've had friends who bake from
scratch and i've helped them and i know that it's not a chore i want
to undertake. But many of the "commercial" bakeries here are
wonderful - many have won awards in international baking competitions
held in Europe. Most have only one or two outlets and their own
specialities.

Less than 3/4 of a mile from my house i can get fine flaky
multi-layered buttery and dark rich chocolatey "pain au chocolat".
Mmm-mmm-mmm.

But to try to waddle back to the topic... I think French toast made
from brioche is real good, too.

Now, i wonder, how would it be made from pannetone?

Anahita the croissant eata