SC - First Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jan 18 17:55:40 PST 2000

- --============_-1263874920==_ma============

At 5:40 PM +1100 1/18/00, Ray Nevin wrote:

>I'm after suggestions for a red meat dish from french sources=20
>preferably (my copy of goodman of paris has some pages missing and I=20
>don't  have easy acces to other sources including web (because the=20
>intenet hours get used up by my little brother).

How about this one from Menagier de Paris? It should be wild boar,=20
but is good with an ordinary pork roast.

Bourbelier of Wild Pig
Menagier p. M-23

=46irst you must put it in boiling water, and take it out quickly and=20
stick it with cloves; put it on to roast, and baste with a sauce made=20
of spices, that is ginger, cinnamon, clove, grain, long pepper and=20
nutmegs, mixed with verjuice, wine, and vinegar, and without boiling=20
use it to baste; and when it is roasted, it should be boiled up=20
together. And this sauce is called boar's tail, and you will find it=20
later (and there it is thickened with bread: and here, not). [end of=20
original]

3 lb pork roast 	1/8 t cinnamon	1/2 t pepper (rounded)	1 c wine
about 60 whole cloves	1/8 t cloves	1/8 t nutmeg	1/2 c vinegar
1/4 t ginger 	1/4 t grains of paradise	(verjuice)

Preheat oven to 450=B0. Stud roast with whole cloves, baste with a=20
mixture of the remaining ingredients, then put into oven. Immediately=20
after putting it in, turn oven down to 350=B0. Roast meat 1 hour 45=20
minutes (for this size roast), basting every 15 minutes.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

for a red meat dish from french sources preferably (my copy of goodman
of paris has some pages missing and I don't  have easy acces to other
sources including web (because the intenet hours get used up by my
little brother).

</smaller></fontfamily>How about this one from Menagier de Paris? It
should be wild boar, but is good with an ordinary pork roast.

ddfr at best.com

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/