SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1845

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Wed Jan 19 06:59:05 PST 2000

> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:27:51 -0600
> From: Magdalena <magdlena at earthlink.net>
> Subject: SC - yet another egg question
>
> Hi!
>
>     I have yet another egg question for y'all.  My SO is
> doing a repeatability study on the use of eggs as
> hydrometers in period brewing.  So far he has discovered
> that store bought eggs don't repeat results for love of god
> or money.  (I told him to use fresh eggs... ;> )  My
> question is:  Will eggs from a commercial setup where the
> chickens are fed all sorts of supplements have a different
> density than eggs from a free-range chicken, assuming that
> both are fresh that day?    Also, if Digby says eggs, is it
> safe to assume chicken eggs?

Johann, poultrier, responds:

 Yes commercial eggs may vary as much as a 8 hours to 24 hours in age
per carton. Usually they are within the 1-2 hour range, but by the time
we get them in the market they are already at least 24 hour old.
 The refrigeration also changes their density, I think?? There is a
slight change in density between non-fertilized eggs and fertile ones,
and there 'might' be a 'slight' change between commercial feed and
natural feed, I don't know, I'll check with the APA.

 If you want to use eggs as a hydrometer use VERY FRESH eggs( within the
day of laying) You will have to find a home operation and buy directly
from them. Contact your local Ag.Office or co-op.

Kiriel?, Do you ever have enough to sell to others?  I do!! I sell about
2-3 dozen eggs a week now, more in the summer!! I even have a few
re-enactors as customers!!
   I am keeping a dozen hens and 4 cocks(4 breeding pairs) and my family
and I can't keep up with even the winter laying.  I gather about 2 dz.
eggs a week during the winter and expect that to double during the
spring and summer. I hope to set about 4dz. per breed in the spring
(allowing for a good 60% hatch rate) I should have a goodly flock going
with period cockerls to slaughter by, June or July.

Johann, poultrier.

P.S.
  It is correct to assume Chicken (Gallius,ie.chicken,or pheasant) Eggs
in Digby unless stated otherwise. Waterfowl eggs were used, but were
usually called for specifically.