SC - Re: Redacting ?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Jan 19 20:31:06 PST 2000

 Rudd Rayfield Rote:
"the Random House College Dictionary's first definition for
"redact" is: "To put into suitable literary form; revise; edit."
This is exactly  what is done when a medieval primary source recipe is
rewritten in modern English and in modern recipe form.  The written
recipes we come up with are, literaly, "redactions".

	Ok, I'll buy this.  In fact, that is the first way I ever heard it used,
from Rayne who had taken a class in the process from an SCA teacher.   I
always thought it was an awkward word, however.   But, it does fit the
process of converting the language and editing for actual content.

 It's meaning is limited.  A redaction is merely the literary form;
 the  written recipe, not the process of turning the recipe into a
 prepared dish in  an attempt to recreate medieval cuisine; the actual
preparing of the food.  Correct usage would be: "This potage you are
being served was prepared from my own redaction of a recipe in Harleian
MS 279."  Incorrect usage: "This potage you are being served is my own
redaction of a recipe in Harleian MS 279."

	This is why I chose "Rendering".  I felt it described both the paperwork
and the dish itself.

> However, as insider jargon, it's great; it's not only an accurate
> description, but it's a nice word, too.   I hope that it is
> retained.
>
> Rudd Rayfield

	It is, rather.
	Christianna