SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 18:05:17 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Vika wrote:

>  The glossary says that Sibbolds are Welsh onions, and doesn't give an
>  entry for Rocket.

The Welsh word for "shallots" is pronounced either "shoo-bwrns" or
"shee-bwrns" depending where the speaker is from in Wales.  It sounds so
close to "sibbolds" that  I wonder if this is what the recipe is referring to
maybe?

Also I seem to recall that "Welsh Onions" are quite a different plant from
shallots, and are not in fact Welsh at all. :-)

Elysant