SC - Russian Milk Pan

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 20 20:47:20 PST 2000

I just got a huge antique brass Russian milk pan
(early 19th c.) for a steal on Ebay.  It is 21" or so in
diameter and has a hammered out deep round well
about 18" in diameter and almost 5" deep.  It  is not
seamed but hmmmered out.   It weighs about 7 to
8 pounds! There are no markings.  It has figural viking
period faces holding the two handles which lift up for
carrying.  What I want to know is how the pan was
used.  This looks like a real workhouse item and not
some fancy dust-gathering serving piece; there are
several old repairs which look to be meant to restore
utility, not beauty.  The patina is that of well used oiled
brass or bronze; shiny but not new brassy finish.

Was this kind of item used in actual milking or allowing the
cream to separate?  Or could it be used to make some
traditional dish like the British method for making clotted
cream? The bottom is rounded so it doesn't seem to have
been used for cooking on a stove either. This looks to me
like the kind of pan that would be in traditional use for many
generations.  The design for all I know dates back to
Viking Rus.  Does anyone in the Scandinavian area have
any data on how this was tradionally used in rural households?
I can email a pic if it will help envision this thing.

Akim
"No glory comes without pain"