SC - a grid?

Fri Jan 21 08:54:38 PST 2000

> >"A roast of pork is prepared diligently on a grid, frequently basted, and
>
> >laid on the grid just as the hot coals cease to smoke.
> >Elizabeth/Betty Cook
>
> Just what is a grid? Is it a castiron thingie like on my barbecue outside?
>
> (the little paralell bars, etc). Or is it a griddle? or an oddball name
> for
> a spit?
>
> Regards,
> Maggie MacD.

A grid, in this case, is probably similar to your barbeque grill.  The
illustrations I've seen show a cross work of iron rods or straps placed
above a fire.  It has also been called a grid iron.  This later developed
into the frying pan with the ribbed bottom called a gridiron and into the
flat metal surface called a griddle.  Note that all of these use direct
heat.

Bear