SC - Honey & Oogy gingerbread

Linda Taylor lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 18:19:25 PST 2000

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:18:15 -0800
>'Lainie wrote:

>Does anyone know if different varieties of honey have a different
>viscosity? Or should I not poke at that particular hive?

Honey definitely varies in viscosity, and it does affect the cooking
characteristics. Karl and I make our own granola (yeah, I know, and we're
not even living in Eugene!) using honey for the sweetener. Our granola
technique is to bring the honey and oil to a boil, stir it into the grain-y
stuff,and bake it until it is lightly browned (it doesn't get crunchy until
it cools, like Stefan's sweet wafers).
    We usually get local "varietal" raw honeys rather than the standardised
pasteurised stuff. Bees feeding on different flowers make honey with
different flavors (we just discovered "Meadow Foam" honey, from an Oregon
wildflower, that tastes like it has vanilla and cream in it!) The
thickness/viscosity differs as well. The bees have to concentrate the nectar
to make it into honey, and I understand some hives just concentrate it more
than others. When we use a thick honey, we just bring it to a boil and pour
it on, but we have found that if the honey is thin, we must boil it for
several minutes to reduce it, or bake the granola much longer to get it
crunchy. This also means we have to use more honey to begin with, or the
finished product will not be as sweet as it should. I am sure this would
affect any other recipe with a significant amount of honey in it.

Morwyn
(whose honey is somewhat thicker since he married me)

Morwyn of Wye, O.L.
Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir
(Portland, OR, USA)
mka Linda Taylor, lmt_inpnw at hotmail.com