SC - 16th century knowledge of languages & German hedgehog recipes

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Sat Jan 22 05:35:58 PST 2000

Diana d'Avignon said:
<< Italian, spanish and some french I can manage, but I was not able to
study German in school. >>

This is perfectly "period" (at least it would be for an English lady).
Furnivall has the following quotation about "The Ladies & men of Queen
Elizabeth's Court" from a 16th century chronicle (1577):

"And to saie how many gentlewomen and ladies there are, that beside
sound knowledge of the Gréeke and Latine toongs, are thereto no lesse
skilfull in the Spanish, Italian, and French, or in some of them, ..."
(Furnivall, Manners and Meals in Olden time, 1866, p. cxxiv).

No mention of German here!

If you are looking for German recipes, a highlight to include in your
collection are Gwen Cat's hedgehogs from the 1460 Maister Hanns
manuscript. They are at:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_AShedgehogs1.htm

This leads you to three recipes, translations, modern renderings and
four beautiful pictures of the hedgehogs.

Best,
Thomas