SC - a grid?

Lurking Girl tori at panix.com
Mon Jan 24 14:28:51 PST 2000

Alderton, Philippa wrote:
> Vika, I understand your problem, and if you like, I'll make you a cooking
> grill like I made and gave to Ras- I can pretty well make it to any size you
> need. An average one would be about 2 feet by 2 feet, and cost about $50
> plus postage.

Wow!  Thanks, Phlip, I'd love that.  Let me know where to send the check...

> Rather than trying to dig a firepit at home, get a 50 gallon steel drum, saw
> it in half the long way, and set it up on bricks or cinderblocks and make
> your fire in that.

Where would I get such a thing?  (I also have wondered idly where people got
freon cans.)  Junkyard?  Recycling center?  Nuclear plant?

> As far as seasoning your cast iron, you may not be aware that you aren't
> supposed to cook wet foods in it until it is well seasoned. Just do fried
> foods for a while- later, when the seasoning takes, just scrape it out, heat
> it up, and reseason a bit- dealing with cast iron takes a while for the
> surface to develop- if you need help, come see us at Pennsic, and we'll show
> you.

I've been trying that with the small skillet I have for inside the house,
and we're starting to get somewhere.  (It had been my grandma's {she doesn't
cook much anymore}, and had been sitting around for awhile, but still had
been pre-seasoned under the crud.)

> Instead of an oven thermometer, get and use one of those instant temp
> thermometers, and poke and check the food as necessary.

My mom got me this weird techno-fork for Christmas--you press a button
to set it for beef, pork, lamb, turkey, or chicken, and then stick it
into the meat.  It figures out the temperature, and tells you whether it's
rare, medium rare, medium, or well done.  My thought-bubble: "But I
_have_ a thermometer!"

It's so yuppie it hurts, but it's kinda neat, too.

Vika
have fork, will travel