SC - Rosee or Morree

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jan 25 13:03:21 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/00 6:23:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
> writes:
>
> << The beautiful rose bush along the side of
>  the house produced copious amounts of blooms- that were vile to taste! >>
>
> What sort of vile? Bitter? You have to remove all of the white part of the
> petal before using to remove the bitterness. Rose petals without the white
> part really have little or no taste to them except, well, roses if they are
> species roses. Tea roses and hybrid roses also have little or no flavor if
> the bitter white part of the petals are removed. I use both copiously and
> often when they are blooming, both for salads and as a soup/stew ingredient.

I wouldn't call it bitter- a little like raw brussels sprouts. And yes,
I _did_ take the white stuff off. But they didn't smell or taste like
roses until I added rosewater- and that still didn't overcome the weird
'plant' taste. But it is no matter- I don't live there anymore (and the
new owners took out the currant bushes that I'd so carefully babied
along!) and I don't remember seeing roses here in Mistress Alys' yard...

'Lainie