SC - Rosee or Morree

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 12:25:49 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/26/00 1:50:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
DianaFiona at aol.com writes:

<< There are some dishes, for instance, that
 call for herbs I can't buy, especially fresh. I could grow enough to do a
 large bowl of a given recipe, but not enough for the whole hall to eat a
 normal portion of. That's more the kind of circumstance I had in mind.

             Ldy Diana >>

So if I understand you correctly, your references to lack of appropriate
quantities of certain foodstuffs was referring to a lack of space to grow
things on or an inability to find certain ingredients in your local
supermarket and not meant to convey the impression that such dishes would
have been prepared in limited quantity within SCA period?

I can understand your frustration. I also have limited space for growing
things although I do manage to grow quite a few different plants in the area
that I do have. What I have found to be satisfying, when I can't
grow/find/order a large quantity of something for a particular recipe that I
want to redact, is using the quantity I can get at the time it is available
and working out the recipe on a smaller scale. This allows for the redacting
of recipes that could not normally be done on a large scale. The satisfaction
of having added to the data base of usable recipes is a plus and the smaller
worked out versions can always be increased for feast use if the rare item
becomes plentiful.

Ras