SC - Spanish beer

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jan 27 05:23:27 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 26 Jan 00,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Interesting. Do we know whether he is using the term "beer" to refer to
> all fermented beverages made from grain or perhaps only those that include
> hops?

The latter.  He says, "La cerveza es aqua cocida con trigo, cebada,
avena y lupulos..."  which translates as "Beer is water cooked with
wheat, barley, oats and hops..."  He goes on to say that there are two
forms: with more hops and with fewer hops; the latter is healthier, in his
opinion.

> I can see where wine might have been more common than beer/ale, even for
> the lower classes, in Spain than say in England but to be little known?

The modern editor's note includes the info that Carlos V introduced beer
into Spain, and brought his master brewer with him from Germany.

Personally, I don't touch the stuff.  But since there are doubtlessly beer-
drinkers on this list who should be advised of the health risks they are
taking, and how to minimize them, I'll see about translating that chapter
tonight.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann