SC - Spanish beer

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jan 27 19:55:25 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 27 Jan 00,, that Jeff Gedney wrote:

> That matches up with the English usage of the period. "Beere" was usually
> a reference to "Flemish Beere" which was a standard indication that Hops
> are a part of the recipe. The English Ale at the time was unhopped.

As you can see from the chapter which I have translated and posted,
hops are assumed to be an ingredient -- the only thing that varies is
qunatity.

> Also interesting is that at the time that the book in question appears to
> have been written (1530), Spain and England were cautious allies against
> France (either was like to turn on and attack the other, the resulting
> brouhaha would then be patched over by the Governments), and their Navies
> had regular communication in Spanish and West Indian Ports, as well as
> English Ports. so it was quite likely that enough communication existed to
> make the cook of a well to do household aware the need to keep of beer and
> ale on hand for the entertainment of English (and German) nobles.

According to the (modern) preface, Carlos V introduced beer into Spain,
and brought his master brewer with him.  The Emperor was a Hapsburg
by birth, raised by an Austrian aunt, and ruled in the Netherlands before
he ever set foot in Spain.
(http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/1/0,5716,22911+1,00.html)

A strange new drink is much more likely to grow in popularity if it's the
monarch's favorite tipple.

> Brandu

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)