SC - Culinary classes at Estrella

Deborah J. Schumacher chicagojo at uswest.net
Sun Jan 30 07:27:33 PST 2000

Here is a listing of the food related classes at Estrella, I thought you all
might be interested in seeing them. hope to see some of you at Estrella. :o)
Zoe Valonin

Sat 2-3 A Sampling Of Spices & Herbs
(1hr)
A class for beginning and would-be cooks. Many folks shy away from cooking
anything with spices because they are afraid of what they taste like. In
this class, we will actually be tasting herbs and spices (in butters and
sugars—some straight for those with sugar problems), so that when beginners
read a recipe, they will know which spices they like, and which ones to
leave out. I will attempt to bring some of the SCA classics, like Grains of
Paradise and Saunders powder (funds permitting). Simple descriptions of the
herbs & spices, places of origins, etc., and some basic info on spice & herb
blends will be featured in the class as well. THL Tabitha Leah of Samarra
(Samrah)

Thurs 9-12 Beginning Camp Cooking
(3hrs)
16 Students Max
 This class will cover the basic concepts of camp cooking: utensils,
cookware, basic heat control, sanitation and basic food preparation
techniques. The students should go away form the class knowing: *which tools
are required in a camp kitchen and which are not and why, *the types and
kinds of cookware that work best in a camp kitchen, *how to judge cooking
temperatures and how they vary from what one is accustomed to in their own
kitchens, *good camp sanitation practices, *some easy recipes to practice.
Class will culminates with a meal that the participants have prepared. A
menu can be obtained before the war by sending a request via e-mail to
scowley at uswest.net.  Lord Steffan of the Close

Fri 9-12 Advanced Camp Cooking
(3hrs)
$6
16 Students Max
 This class will be a follow-up to the beginners class. It will cover
advanced heat control, advanced food preparation techniques, cooking for
large groups and households, the use of period foods and spices. The
students should go away from the class knowing: *ideas for "put it on the
fire and forgetting it meals" or "what’s for dinner after court", *some
advanced recipes and ideas to work with, *how to control heat based on the
weather and the food item being prepared, *how to judge timing so that all
dishes of the meal can be served hot and at the same time, *quantities and
measurements for use while planning and shopping for a household or large
group, * how to use period foods and spices to make a meal fit for a king.
Class will culminates with a meal that the participants have prepared. A
menu can be obtained before the war by sending a request via e-mail to
scowley at uswest.net.  Lord Steffan of the Close

Sun 10-11:30 Cure For The Curse Of The Common Brown Thumb: Adventures With
Lavender & Other Flowers
(1½ Hrs)

$1.50
 In this class we will deal with different period varieties of Lavender, and
perhaps up o a half dozen other flowers. There will be some growing tips,
live plants to look at (they may not be blooming but we will keep positive
thoughts). As it appears many gentles have difficulty knowing what to do
with the flowers after they grow, we will also be doing several herbal
projects. We will make a poultice, potpourri, and a batch of saffron bread.
This should be a very "hands on" touchy-feeling sort of class. THL Tabitha
Leah of Samarra (Samrah)

Sat 12-1 How To Run A Feast
(1hr)
 If you have thought about cooking a feast but quail at the idea of cooking
twenty dishes for two hundred, come hear the advice from a person who has
headed over fifteen feasts and assisted at scores of others. Learn how to
pick a theme and select dishes, adjust for food allergies and finicky
eaters, calculate portions and shopping lists, work out precooking
schedules, adapt to strand and useless kitchens, and how to handle service
problems and courts that run overtime.  Morgan Cain

Sun 11-12 Period Feast For Modern Palates
(1hr)
   Mistress Genevieve Penrose