SC - Dutch recipe books

Rosalyn MacGregor rosalyn at worldshare.net
Mon Jul 3 09:30:57 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/2/00 11:54:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Re: Jenne Heise
<jenne at tulgey.browser.net>  writes:

> Platina, as far as I recall, calls for 'spices'. I used fresh-grated
>  nutmeg, mace, and ground cloves. (Couldn't find the ground cinnamon or the
>  peppermill in the spice boxes.) What do you all suggest for the spices?

Those sound quite in line with Platina and a good accompanyment to turnips.

>  Furthermore, I want to start trying out mustards. Mustards are nice on
>  bread, but better on meat in my opinion... I was wondering about roasted
>  beef. I looked through my medieval cookbooks last fall looking for a
>  recipe for basic pre-1600 roast beef, but couldn't find one. Suggestions?

Without whipping out the references, I recall a few references to "rub with
lard, and salt it well" type descriptions as to how to roast a piece of meat.
I have interepretted this liberally and use if for everything from beef to
chicken.

Hauviette