SC - ISO: the cook for that german feast

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 3 08:55:01 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/2/00 11:54:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> As beef is described as a "cold and dry"  food, you may find that roasting
> alone is not sufficient to make it a healthy meal.  You will find that
> humorists declare that boiling a roast of beef is the only way to adjust
it's
> character.  Then, adding mustard will further ally it's cold nature for
sure!
>  There a so numerous recipes for mustards... try many and experiment.
> Platina's red mustard is delightful on beef and lamb.
>
>  niccolo difrancesco

That is very true. I should have referred to my notes on Platina. He does say
that beef is cold and dry.However, the oil can be warming (depending on if it
is first pressed from raw olives or ripe ones) and the beef can be "doctored"
by spices which can warm it. Partial boiling could be an offset to the nature
of dry beef and I suppose salting it might be too much as salt is drying in
nature.

Hauviette