SC - Cressee webbed

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Jul 3 14:21:43 PDT 2000

>   >>
>     "The Complete Receipt Book of Ladie Elynor Fettiplace , Vol. 1",
>published by  Stuart Press, is the version I have. It's *just* the recipes,
>with no commentary, unlike the lovely book put out by the wife of the
>gentleman who inherited this household book, which is far more commentary
>than recipes, and quite fascinating. It was started by Lady Elynor in 1604,
>and passed on to her niece in 1647. It is, therefore, technically outside
>our
>period, but no more so than several other works that are commonly used in
>the
>Society.

Yes, but . . .by 1604, Lady Fettiplace had been housekeeping for nearly 20
years if I recall correctly.  And likely some of the recipes came from her
mother or other older female relations, so I'd expect many of the collection
originated 'in period'. She sometimes does reference who gave her the
recipe, ok, she name drops, but that helps pin some of the recipe dates
down.

I'd like access to a copy of the book you have, instead of the other, which
I like but which leaves everything to guess work as at least once, she
mentions in her introduction a recipe that was added much later (per the ink
and the handwritting) and then later uses the recipe in the text of the book
without making clear that it is NOT part of the receipt collection that was
written up for Lady F in 1604.

Bonne