SC - RE: gold jordan almonds

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jul 5 06:58:02 PDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> effective on reindeer milk it seems.  Some sources also list the
> Venus' flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) emzynes being used (but this
> is bullshit as this species ONLY occurs in the coastal Carolinas and
> has only one species in the whole Genus).  The insectivorous

But the Drosera species (Drosera rotundifoli, etc) was used for this, at
least according to some sources (among them
http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/drosera/drose/drosrot.html, but I have
read it in other places as well).

> abhor their tastes), though the white mold cheeses like brie and
> Camembert are delightful (but way past period).  Neufchatel however
> dates way back into the medieval period (but not so tasty as brie).

IIRC there are claims that brie is period.

> from our large number of list members from places where other than
> commonplace cheeses are available.  Supermakets carry a good variety
> now but the .....prices..... are.... obscene.

Hmm, I can get a edible "cooking" brie for as low as 49 SKR/kg (app.
US$2.75/lb). This is not the good stuff (that's 2-4 times as expensive),
but is quite edible and very nice in cooking (tarte de bry, etc). The
traditional scandinavian hard cheeses (Västerbotten, etc) tend to be
more expensive ($3-5/lb). BTW, these prices include the Swedish 25%
"sales tax".

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
HELO. My $name is sendmail.cf. You filled my spooldir. Prepare to VRFY.
		-- Phil Homewood (phil at rivendell.apana.org.au)