SC - Quick inquiry REC:DATE TART

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 06:44:34 PDT 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> twila hoon <hoontw at libra.unm.edu>
>  Subject: SC - Quick inquiry
>
>  Greetings ! this is a last minute quick qusetion.  The dinner I am cooking
>  for tomorrow I have just found out has increased from a (generous estimate
>  of 120) to a very firm 160+ likely to turn into 200.

This is a recipe I got off of the Florilegium, it looks great and easy. I was
going to use it to take advantage of a sale on dates (of which I bought
boodles)

>From Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin, Sabina Welserin, published 1553

Date Tart

#188 Dattlentorten zú machen

Schneidt die dattlen/vnnd thiet die keren heraús, siedt sý jn ainem siessen
wein/lands ain wenig sieden/vnnd legts fein aúff den boden/vnnd seet zúcker
vnnd zimerrerlen daraúff/vnd legt fein die dattlen daraúff,  vmb vnd vmb
gelegt/vnnd wider ain zúcker vnnd zimmerrerlen daraúffgeseet, vnnd macht ain
deckin dariber/vnnd geúß ain wenig ain brielin daran, wie die dattlen darinen
gesotten seind, vnnd lasts bachen.
(from Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin. Herausgegeben von Hugo Stopp. Mit
einer Übersetzung von Ulrike Geißmann. Heidelberg 1980.  Provided by Thomas
Gloning)

#188 To make a date tart

Cut up the dates and take out the pits, cook them in sweet wine, let them
boil a little, lay them attractively in a pastry shell and sprinkle sugar and
cinnamon on top of it and lay the dates ina circle and again sprinkle sugar
and cinnamon on top.  And make a cover over it and pour on it some of the
broth in which the dates were cooked, and let it bake.
(Translation by Valoise Armstrong)

My Version:This was not my (Hauviette's) redaction, I don't have the name of
the person unless it's Valois. Just wanted to give credit where due.

1 pastry shell
1 pastry top
10 oz. whole dates
1 cup sweet wine
Sugar
Cinnamon

Pit dates and cut them into halves.  Place dates in pan with wine and bring
to a boil.  Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove dates and let cool.  Place
a layer of dates in the pastry shell then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Place another layer of dates into pastry shell, then sprinkle with sugar and
cinnamon.  Continue in this way until pastry shell is full.  Place top crust
on pastry, pierce with knife and pour some of the wine the dates were cooked
in over the top crust.  Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.