SC - pennsic menu- non-cooler, period recipes

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Sat Jul 8 06:56:38 PDT 2000

On Thursday, Etain and I got together to commit cookery, and commit cookery
we did!  It was really nice to cook along with someone, share ideas and, most
importantly have someone to help EAT the food.  Can't wait until we do it
again!

I enjoyed the process of making the Cressee.  Next time though, I would boil
it longer.

Here is the strawberry tart recipe that I made.  I probably got it off the
list, but I can't tell who from  (didn't save that bit) The tart was
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!  Does anyone know when *A Proper Newe Book* was written?

Also, I sent this recipe to my Jewish list group.  Can anybody tell me where
this responder got the idea that medieval bread was steamed?   I want to
answer her (beehive oven, etc etc) but want to be accurate.  I have never
heard of medieval bread being steamed.
Phillipa
<<
 Thank you Phillipa for this interesting recipe. I know that white bread would
 probably have been steamed at that time but it's interesting and I'd love to
see
 more.