SC - Speaking of non-period children's material

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 13 23:33:08 PDT 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> BTW, Ras, that lack of documentation that I found in response to your
> question about medieval potsmoking has come in very handy for demos with
> older teens.

I'm not quite sure what this is in referance to, but this is excerpted
from my hemp-msg file:

- --Herodotus, in his "History of the Persian Wars", describes how the
Scythians got high by inhaling the smoke of cannabis.  They did not use
pipes, instead they would gather in a closed tent and throw leave,
flowers, and seeds onto burning coals.--

For more on the use of hemp in period, see this file in the PLANTS, HERBS
AND SPICES section:
hemp-msg          (34K)  5/11/00    Use of hemp in period. In ropes, as
an
                                      intoxicant, clothing. Recipes.

And this one in the TEXTILE ARTS section:
hemp-cloth-msg    (23K)  4/ 8/97    Cloth and clothing made with hemp fibers.
  (I wish I could get hemp cloth and canvas in this country at a reasonable
price. Hemp canvas wears much better than cotton canvas. Unfotunately,
imported hemp canvas costs more than $12/yard. When you are talking the
amount needed for a period pavilion, that is a LOT more money. All because
of a bit of paranoia in Washington)

And for period (medieval and Renaissance) smoking of other herbs and
plants check this file in the PERSONAL CARE section:
smoking-msg       (18K)  4/ 1/99    Period smoking of tobacco and other plants.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net