SC - cornstarch

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 14 08:42:30 PDT 2000

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello the List!
>
> Ras asked about documentation for cornstarch.  There is a recipe for this,
> IIRC, in Hieatt's Anglo-Norman article in Speculum.  Will get it to you as
> soon as my time frees up.  Mother in law currently visiting.
>
> Cairistiona

Finish your cuppa, Cairistiona. I've got it.

"21. Wheat Starch. How to make a year's supply of wheat starch which
will keep as long as desired. Take clean wheat around St. john's Day and
put it in a vessel; for nine days, put plenty of clean water with the
wheat; every day the wheat is to be well washed and the water changed;
then grind it thoroughly, put back into clean water, and let stand
overnight; then strain and place on a cloth in the sun until dry; when
it is dry, take it and put it in a clean vessel; keep it as long as you
wish, well covered and cut into pieces, etc. [Here, 'etc' must mean 'and
grind it for use as needed', rather than 'serve'.]"

Translation from Constance Hieatt and Robin Jones, "Two Anglo-Norman
Culinary Collections Edited from British Library Manuscripts Additional
32085 and Royal 12.C.xii", Speculum v. 61, October 1986 pp 859-882.

FWIW, Saint John's Day is June 24th; presumably the folk in Lochac and
such places will want to try this in late January?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com