SC - Need help

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Jul 18 04:10:48 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

Adamantius sez:

>I suspect that either somebody had the wrong type of full Elizabethan,
>or else perhaps had some combination of inexperience or excessively high
>standards about the odd splash. I don't imagine Elizabethan butchers
>saying, "Uh oh, it be a calffe. I'd best to slippe into mine Italian
>Renne; my Gothic is at ye Cleaners."

I for one am constantly amused by people who insist on wearing upper class
garments while they do middle class (or lower) jobs :). A lovely middle
class elizabethan dress  is perfectly suited for all kinds of cooking jobs,
and of course, middle class 15th century Flemish is my garment of choice
and I cook over open fires, hike in the woods, even do woodworking in it!

Did Elizabethan people wear court costume to muck out barns/put up the
cherryes/hack a cow to gobbets? Middle class stuff is WAY practical.
Sleeves you can roll up. Reasonable length skirts. Aprons! headdresses that
keep your hair out of the food as well as the grease out of your hair and
the sweat off your brow. Did you know that a good wool dress makes a handy
potholder? and natural fibers are de rigeur when cooking over fire.

I know we all want to be glamorous, and its not nearly as much fun to play
pretend to be someone ordinary. I too have a closet with some VERy sparkly
clothing :). But for cooking or other physical work I cant recommend middle
class garments enough.

just my two sous...take it for what its worth! (ie about a wastel rolls
worth :))

- --AM