SC - Cooks Pot-Luck

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jul 18 07:58:05 PDT 2000

Kiri skrev:

>Hey all....
>Got a question:  for this pot-luck...what sort of dish should I be
considering >bringing?

Preferably a very large platter, well filled with goodies ;-)

>Actually, I have several questions:
 >There are a couple of new cooks in our camp...if they come with us, are
they >required to contribute a dish?  Must it be period?

It's entirely up to you. I'd expect YOU to come up with something period,
but not have such expectations of a new cook. All of you can collaborate on
one large dish, or perhaps you could guide them into a couple of easy period
dishes. I'd avoid a modern pizza, for example, but a nice salad or dessert,
or main dish would be great. If you need help, SPCA will be happy to help
you all.

>  Should we plan to bring copies of the recipes we use for our dishes?

Not required, but nice, particularly if it includes references.

>  How many people should a dish feed?

Usual rule is 8-10, but it will vary depending on what you have to hand, and
can transport.

>This will be our first time to participate in this, and we don't want to
commit any >faux pax (or fur paws, as our resident felines would say!).

Wish my kittens had more fur and less claws in their paws- they don't yet
understand the difference between climbing my jeans, and climbing my bare
legs.... I look like I lost a fight with a rose bush at the moment.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. We've had people who showed up with nothing, or
a bottle of wine or home-made mead, and everyone is still welcome. We're
meeting to get to know the faces behind the computer screen, and to share
our mutual hobby. Rule # 1 is "Enjoy yourself". Rule # 2 is "When in doubt,
see rule # 1".

MK  Cooks, I'm ccing this to you, so that you, also, know what to expect.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous