SC - Calaphon pots & pans

BalthazarBlack@aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 07:49:49 PDT 2000

> I totally agree. But based on the other stuff they are serving and
stating
> were from the "period" because of the chemical ingredients found, I
just
> can't hardly believe they would "muck" it up by including something
they
> don't have basis for.

If you carefully read both the article about the find and the article
about the dinner, you realize that only a few items on the menu are
re-creations from the historic leftovers:

"To create the menu for "A Feast Fit for King Midas," Museum Catering
Company Executive Chef Pamela Horowitz consulted with Dr. McGovern and
others. The result is an evening of Turkish culinary delights, starting
with appetizers featuring such regional specialties as stuffed grape
leaves, sun-dried fruits topped with sheeps milk cheese, and walnuts.
Foods will be presented in Phrygian-style bowls, similar to those used
at
the ancient feast. Diners will then enjoy a three course meal, beginning

with a Turkish Mezze of figs, olives, cheeses and specialty breads. The
historic entre, of course, is a fire-roasted lamb and lentil stew
featuring regional spices and topped with watercress."

>From the looks of it, ONLY the lamb stew and the beer are going to be
historically based: the rest is modern Turkish. I suspect those who
attend
and hear the speaker's presentation will not be confused, since he will
probably explain exactly what elements are from his work.

The website about 'King Midas' is much better than the press release
about
the food-- I suspect that the website was done by Archaelogists and the
press release by the Museum Catering Company.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net
        "Scratch a lover and find a foe." -- Dorothy Parker