SC - [Fwd: [outlands] Attn All Those Attending Crown!]

Thu Jul 20 09:21:27 PDT 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > Funny, since you seem to be in agreement with everyone else on this. I'm
> > just wondering what Elizabethan English butchers wore when working, and
> > why it doesn't qualify as "full Elizabethan". Presumably there is some
> > kind of jargon involved, but whose? Is this modern costuming terminology
> > (which might have some defensible basis in reality, or might not),
> > arbitrary SCAdian pseudolanguage (which probably doesn't), or did Lady
> > Elinor Fettiplace record, in her diary, having worn "my fulle
> > Elizabethan" on her wedding day...?
>
> Unless I misremember my dates, Elinor would have worn _Jacobean_
> clothing, would she not?

Okay, in her lifetime, if not to her wedding. Perhaps I misread
Spurling's notes, but I somehow had the impression the 1604 date was her
last entry. However...

> At any rate, I don't call my clothing "Late Clintonian garb", whether
> I'm butchering or not. I think what we call 'Full Elizabethan' they
> might have termed 'clothes for Court'. What you wear to butcher in is
> work clothes, any time, any place.

True. You illustrate my point, though. "Full Elizabethan", with its
arbitrarily attached meaning, appears to be a made-up SCAdian term
(unless someone like Janet Arnold is responsible; I don't know), which
makes for difficulties in understanding the distinction between court
garb and work clothes. Under the circumstances, I think it would be
quite easy to posit the allegedly mistaken theory that Full Elizabethan
work clothes existed.

I wonder what Non-full Elizabethan work clothes would have consisted of.
Missing the wide belt, or something?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy