SC - The Perfect Feast

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Thu Jul 20 13:13:22 PDT 2000

'Full elizabethan'

> I believe this is merely an SCAism, stemming from the non-period fact
> that
> we (mostly) all function as our own servants, and therefore wear a range
> of clothing that would probably been unlikely for an historical person.

I would be a bit doubtful about the idea that people of the nobility did
not have a range of more and less elaborate clothing, some of it suitable
for nothing but court and some more suitable for work activities, not
least because of 'country squires' and period gardeners who would simply
not be wandering about their gardens, hunting, or doing other messy (or
potentially messy) activities in garb appropriate for a feast, a court
appearance or in fact a dinner party with people of higher rank.
Engravings and paintings do in fact show people with less elaborate
variants of dress, or even with clothing bits (ruffs, sleeves, jackets)
removed when work was being done or when one was 'en famille'.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Scratch a lover and find a foe." -- Dorothy Parker