SC - Anise & Fennel

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Jul 21 07:26:36 PDT 2000

Posole is a hominy stew.  Traditionally, it is served topped with carne
adobado, shredded pork cooked in a chili sauce.  The hominy makes up the
bulk of the dish, the carne adobado provides flavor and meat.  The dish may
originate with the Pueblo Indians.

While you usually wind up getting chili with or without beans cooked into
it, the traditional method is to cook the chili con carne and a pot of
frijoles seperately, then serve the beans covered with the chili.  The
method has the saving grace that in lean times, you cook up a lot more
frijoles and put on just enough chili con carne to give it flavor (really
lean times, you're lucky if you get the frijoles).

I like posole and chili cooked in this manner, but it can be difficult to
find it in restaurants.  Usually, I find it in hole-in-the-wall Hispanic and
Nativo joints where they don't cater to the tourist trade.

Bear