SC - SPECIFIC DETAILS on ANISE and FENNEL

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Sat Jul 22 06:54:09 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Gunthar

> The chili will be mild, medium and medium-ish vegetarian. I've found
> a nice vegetarian chili recipe with tofu that looks interesting. It
depends
> on how much the tofu is going to cost.

To cut down on the cost, try this recipe.  I haven't used it yet, but I
think it should work well.  (If you need it, I also have a recipe for making
soy milk).

Oh, and a tip for the tofu lovers.  Tofu can be frozen; it gives it a
"meatier" texture and also makes it more "sponge-like" for taking up
marinades.  Cut it into slices (if you like) and then freeze it.  When it is
thawed, give it a good squeeze remove as much liquid as possible.

Home-Made Tofu
 Serving Size: 4 oz/125g

Ingredients:

                  1 pint (575 ml) soya milk (shop bought or
               homemade)
                1/2 tsp  epsom salts or nigari (nigari is supposed to
               give a better result)
                  4 tbs  hot water

  Preparation:

               Put soya milk in a pan and bring to the boil.
               Dissolve the epsom salts or nigari in the hot water
               and add to the milk. Leave for 5 minutes to curdle.
               Line a sieve with a piece of muslin. Pour curdled
               mixture through, separating the curds from the
               liquid (the liquid is not needed). Fold muslin over
               top of sieve and place a weight on the top. Leave for
               1 hour. Remove the curds, which are now tofu, and
               store in a bowl of water in the fridge till needed.
               Easy!

Gwynydd