SC - fast-day feast for difficult diets

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 22 20:55:33 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

Just last week I held a second feast (without firepit this time) for
mundanes on the research station.  This one was in garb instead, and I
discovered a difficulty I've never before encountered in menu planning:  out
of 7 guests, 2 hypoglycaemics, 2 vegetarians (the cute-and-furry version), 3
jewesses who didn't mind my pots but who preferred otherwise kosher food, 2
wine allergies, at least 1 lactose-intolerant, 2 children.  So we had a
fast-day feast.  Deliberately chose a Friday, so we would have reason to
serve this stuff.  The recipes?

Frumenty, rice for fish day, grilled fish with sauce Robert (lots of
excitement here - 'gosh, can you _use_ unripe grapes?'), Menagier's mushroom
pasty (why do the redactions I've come across all suggest little individual
party pies?  This worked really well as a big communal pasty), eggs with
mocloock (from the vd Noot text - mocloock is a sage and raw garlic sauce),
water clary, longe worts de pesone, and an apple pie (took me ages to find a
suitable recipe - they all seemed to say 'a great store of sugar' - this one
said 'sugar enough', which was fine by me, as I had decided zero was
enough...).

And I even had enough energy to perform Aucassin and Nicolette for the poor
suckers.  No wonder 4 of them have left the country.

Cairistiona

P.S.  The obligate carnivore of the group decided not to come, on the
grounds that there would be nothing to eat.  I'll do a feast for her next
time.