SC - Help - Dangerous Herbs

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 23 10:40:51 PDT 2000

At 10:08 PM 7/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:43:46 EDT
>From: Korrin S DaArdain <korrin.daardain at juno.com>
>Subject: SC - Help - Dangerous Herbs
>
>Greetings All,
>         Could someone tell me what herbs cause abortions? I know there is
>at least one, but I can't remember the name. I am putting on a small
>medieval feast for some friends and one of them is pregnant and I do not
>want to cause a miscarriage.
>
>Thanks,
>Korrin S. DaArdain
>Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

When one is pregnant, you should avoid Goldenseal (it reduces blood flow to
the baby) and Pennyroyal (as it is an abortifactant).  Ginseng increases
blood flow, but should be avoided by people who have heart conditions or
high blood pressure (many women, myself included, get Pregnancy Induced
Hypertension - PIH and so should avoid Ginseng for this reason.  High Blood
Pressure reduces blood flow to the baby, and thus reduces the oxygen the
baby receives).  There are other herbs that should be avoided in pregnancy
also, but these are the most commonly available that I can think of at the
moment.  Garlic can help reduce Blood Pressure in anyone, but particularly
in pregnancy can also cause heartburn or gas.  It is worth a try
though!  You usually know within 2 hours if it is going to bother you or
not.    Nutmeg and clary sage are essential oils that should be avoided
durning pregnancy as well, so I would reccommend going light on the nutmeg
(though in it's spice form, the essential oil content is so low, that it is
not as much to worry about - I know I had many cups of hot milk with honey,
cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla to help fight off the insomnia when I was
pregnant!).  I don't really know of too many herbs that are used in cooking
which would be harmful.  Most are herbs that people take for other reasons,
like Goldenseal is a good antiviral.

Red Raspberry is an excellent herb for pregnancy, as it tones the uterus
and increases the oxygen to the baby.  Red raspberry tea would be an
excellent beverage to serve (though I personally do not know about it's
authenticity as a Medival Herb, you'll have to ask the experts on that
one).  Spearmint (which Spearmint OIL should not be used on babies for some
reason - I never have found out why) is good for reducing nausea in
pregnancy.  As is Ginger.

I can get out my herbal books and see what more detail I can find if you
are interested?  This is what I know from memory.

God bless you!  Have fun with your feast!
- -Laurene