SC - Gall bladder woes and care

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jul 24 08:27:43 PDT 2000

Anise is Pimpinella anisum, a plant of the carrot family of Mediterranean
origin, which is now widely cultivated as a flavoring agent.  Anise seed or
aniseed are the seeds of this plant.

Fennel is a common name several different herbs.  Today, fennel usually
refers to Foeniculum vulgare of Eurasian origin.  Also referred to as sweet
fennel.

Star anise is the eastern Asian Illicium verum and commonly refers to the
star shaped seed pods or the seeds from those pods.

Anise hyssop is a North American herb, Agastache foeniculum, whose leaves
are commonly used for tea.  I've never had the tea, so I can't say if it
tastes like anise, but the seeds smell something like anise seed.

Dill is a Eurasian member of the carrot family, Antheum graveolens.  Some
references state dill is the biblical anise.

Bear