SC - Smithsonian dinner

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 18:00:06 PDT 2000

At 06:20 PM 7/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:00:58 EDT
>From: BalthazarBlack at aol.com
>Subject: Re: SC - Anise, Fennel (and a bit of dill)
>
>In a message dated 7/24/00 7:54:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
>writes:
>
> >  Fennel and anise both taste of licorice but they are very different.
> >  > Fennel seed is hard to find (except in health food stores, which sell it
> >  > as a tea for dieting).
> >
> >  Also found in Indian markets, both as plain seeds and as multicolored
> >  confits. They can also be found in large food-service-sized jars
> >  (perhaps eight ounces, which is a lot of fennel) in both Chinese and
> >  Latino markets. Actually, so can anise.
>
>Maybe it's just my natural, uncanny luck, but I have never had a problem
>finding fennel seed in my local grocery store.  I had never imagined that it
>would be hard to find.  Anyone else out there have difficulty finding fennel
>seed??  Curious.
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor

try growing some!!!  See what comes up?  I planted anise seed once when we
were newly married, but the tiny plants didn't get enough sunlight and when
they reached about 6" they finally died.  They did grow teeny tiny sickly
looking little white flowers on their spindly stems though.  I'm sure they
would have looked much more lush if I had grown them somewhere that had
more light.  I haven't really had the time or desire to try again
since.  Sometimes it's fun to grow the seeds from my herb and spice bottles
though.  Fenugreek sprouts nicely too, but I've never really had the space
to grow it in the ground.

- -Laurene