SC - Sour Doh question!!!

BalthazarBlack@aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 00:11:44 PDT 2000

Christianna gave two medievaloid recipes she was thinking of using at
Pennsic for the Meridies feast:
> 1) [based on Egredouce and pork with pepper sauce recipes]
> 	Powdered spices including: winter savory, sage, thyme, cinnamon, pepper,
> cubeb, ginger, mace, cloves, grains of paradise, galingale, garlic,
> sugar(about 2 tbsp. to the whole mix, or roughly equal to any one of the
> other spices in volume), and salt
> 	With the addition of a combination of distilled white and red wine
> vinegars for the marinade.  I would like to make the sauce for this,
> using red wine, red wine vinegar, and onions, cooking it down into a
> syrup.  I think I can make this in advance and take it up there with me,
> and use it to serve with the meat.

Why are you using distilled white vinegar? Price? I know you are not
trying for a period meal, so the fact that this vinegar is an industrial
creation may not be a problem. But are you aware it is made from
petroleum oil? I was not aware of this myself until it was brought
up here on this list. What about using apple cider vinegar? This vinegar
is probably the least expensive of the natural vinegars and the apple
taste might be a good addition.

>  My lord is still trying to get
> over the fact that it isn't red, because his beloved capsicums are
> missing, but Temair says that a little saunders (or the sandalwood I know
> I have somewhere) will make it more red, and it should make him feel
> better ;)

I believe these are two names for the same thing. However there are
two types of sandalwood, only one of which works well in food. It is
a deep orange-red in color. The other is yellower-tan I believe. There
is info in my files. The Pepperer's Guild at Pennsic usually has
powdered sandalwood for sale. I bought some from them last Pennsic.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net