SC - Re: Help - Dangerous Herbs

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Jul 25 07:28:12 PDT 2000

Well, since you asked.  It's not a recipe I can document, but I do know that
roast pork was a dish served in China 'way back into legendary times.  And I'm
fairly certain that all of the ingredients are period...so I guess this would be
a "periodoid" sort of dish, but one that is really good.  I don't have
quantities for the seasonings as I've been making it for many, many years and
have forgotten the exact measurements.

Red Roasted Pork

Pork Roast...I usually use tenderloin, but anything will work...it even works on
ribs.
honey
hoisin sauce
five spice powder
sesame oil
soy sauce
rice wine--sake or the Chinese rice wine
star anise

Make a marinade out of the ingredients (all except for the roast!).  I would
estimate about a quarter of a cup of honey to a cup of soy and a half cup of
wine.  I'd use about a tablespoon of sesame oil, a teaspoon of hoisin and a
half-tsp. of five spice.  Throw in about a half dozen stars or so.  These
measurements are not exact...taste the marinade as you add stuff.  Marinate the
pork for at least a couple of hours.   I usually do it overnight.

Cook the roast in a 350 oven until done, usually an hour or so, depending on the
size of the roast.  Every 15 - 20 minutes, brush the roast with either hoisin or
honey, alternating which one you use.  This will create a lovely crust on the
roast.

The only complaint I've ever had is that the roast sometimes looks like it's not
done...the hoisin causes the meat to have a reddish cast.

Enjoy!

Kiri