SC - Urban Legends

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 16:50:48 PDT 2000

Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/25/00 3:17:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:
>
> << It was a sugar-coated puffed barley.  I adored it as a kid, but my mom
> would never buy it because it was sugar-coated.   I think it was called Sugar
> Pops
>  and had the phrase, "Sugar Pops are tops."  It had a bear as its logo.   >
>
> The puffed barley with the bear logo is Sugar Smacks (now renamed "Honey
> Smacks" because mom's wouldn't by something so "obviously" drenched in sugar!
> ::rolls eyes::)   Sugar Pops are a puffed corn (as in maize) product.  My kid
> loved both....I used them as "bribe snacks" long before they started
> packaging them as "snack food" in cannisters!
>
> etain

I could have sworn Sugar Smacks were/are wheat, but I suppose this is
easily checked. Perhaps this is where I give away my age, but I also
recall that the bear coincided with the change of the name to "Honey
Smacks"; originally, as I recall, they had a logo/ad theme involving two
juvenile boxers...

Gotta love a cereal that glorifies not only processed sugar, but also
violence _and_ drug use!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy