SC - Flaming Cheesy Salamandar Badge

Browning, Susan W. bsusan at corp.earthlink.net
Thu Jul 27 14:42:51 PDT 2000

Bongiorno. In response, yes, it IS very neat-o to see a final project
that is the result of a person's vertical production. Yes, it would be
best entered as several entries. For example, when Constance made her
entries into our A&S, not only did she grind her own flour, but she
made her own salt as well. Not only is the bread (I think that's what
it was) its own cooking entry, but the salt she made should be an entry
in alchemy (guess which lake she lives by) and I believe the flour
could be a fiefholding (?) entry. The same thing is possible of an
illumination: while there are instances of the masters telling us to go
out and buy the ground pigment, there are just as many instances of the
same master telling us to grind it on our own. While a
verticle-production method of producing A&S entries is often
historically incorrect, it is also the life of the dream. We cannot
live our persona lives exactly as the people did in period, relying on
a multitude of other people in a multitude of specific professions
often for the very simplest reason of them all: there aren't enough of
us in an area to support this kind of authenticity. However, we CAN
research a broader area than the cook of the period might have
knowledge of and learn to properly grow and grind our own corn to make
our own flour to make our own bread. That, I believe, is part of what
the dream is about, not a person learning only such a specific thing
that it occupies a magnifying lens, but that we learn to do many things
and excel in some. Sorry for rambling, and I'll do up an intro for
myself right away.

Signore Marco di Caprioli

- --- Jeff Heilveil <heilveil at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Salut!
> I have a most interesting question.  Before asking, I will state the
> following:
> 1) I am not trying to knock any of the hard work done by others
> 2) I am not saying that I don't think the practice in question is
> neat,
> especially as I do think it's neat.
> 3) I am not trying to start a war, just curious.
>
> That said...
>
> So I was talking with a friend who does mostly Metalwork and
> Illumination,
> and we started to talk about A&S entries.  He was saying how he wants
> have a laurel competition so that people can see what the "Laurel
> level
> work" that they think they cannot achieve looks like.  From there we
> quickly got on to entries we had recently heard about.  When I told
> him
> about Constance's REALLY AMAZING entry, he pointed out an interesting
> thing...
>
> We give more credit to entries where the people mill the grain and
> all
> then we do to things that are just cooked.  We don't expect jewelers
> to go
> out and mine ore...  we don't expect illumators to make their own
> pigments
> (well some people do, but he has documentation from period where the
> master flat out says to 'go buy pigment.').  Milling wasn't the job
> of the
> cook.  So by giving more credit to those who mill/grow their own, so
> speak, we are encouraging poor re-creation.  On the other hand,
> entries
> like the one Constance had should be judged as multiple entries.  She
> should have been given credit for accuracy of grain size and milling
> practice for the flour she used...  So while on the one hand, we are
> applauding inaccurate representation of period food making, we are
> also
> downplaying the talents of the entrant by not acknowledging all of
> the
> occupations they _are_ recreating.
>
> So perhaps when you enter a piece on which you spent a ton of time
> and
> grew/milled the ingredients (or grew/sheared/spun/wove) you should
> enter
> them as multiple entries.  Save back some of the flour, maybe even
> some of
> the grain if you grew it.  Write up how you milled it separately and
> how
> it was grown.  True, a judge may look at a pile of flour as an entry
> and
> laugh,  but if you researched period milling and flour grain size and
> did
> your best to re-create it, you should be recognized for your ability
> as
> milling and _NOT_ your cooking skills, since cooks didn't mill.

> [...]

=====
Marcello di Caprioli, Ornament of Artemisia
Shire of Silver Keep
The Glorious Kingdom of Artemisia